I love to tinker about and find things that are creative and satisfying. Here's an idea how to make simple but effective hanging ornaments for your tree, or wherever you like.
1. Start with a blank wood template. You can get these at a local craft store, or if you are really fancy you can make them yourself.
2. Use a standard hobby wood burning tool with a point and shade in some details.
3. After you have done that, color in the areas with a normal colored pencil you can get a lovely set from art stores or even Bartells.
You can do the same thing on the back of the ornament, if you want a 3d look, or Choose a single color or whatever you like to the back of the ornament
4. Add more detail if you like, and a clear varnish.
5. When dry you can drill a small hole and add a thread through for hanging.
And there you are - you have made some really cute ornaments!
Here's an example of a Robin, one of my other ones made by the same process: Great for gifts and for Xmas tree!